The PADI Oxygen First Aid Course is a Distinctive Specialty which is based on DAN’s Oxygen First Aid for Diving Injuries Provider Course. The program structure is the same a the DAN program and is most often taught in conjunction with the DAN program.
DANīs Oxygen First Aid for Diving Injuries Provider Course was designed to fill the void in oxygen first aid training available for the general diving public.
This course represents entry level training designed to educate the general diving (and qualified non-diving) public in recognizing possible dive related injuries and providing emergency oxygen first aid while activating the local emergency medical services (EMS) and / or arranging for evacuation to the nearest available medical facility.
In DANīs most recent dive accident record, less than 33% of injured divers received emergency oxygen in the field.
Few of those received oxygen concentrations approaching the recommended 100%. DAN and all major diving instructional agencies recommend that all divers be qualified to provide 100% oxygen in the field to those injured in a dive accident.
Dr. Carl Edmonds, physician, international author, and lecturer on diving medicine states, "100% oxygen should be administered as immediate first aid and while transporting the patient to [treatment] facilities."
All DAN Oxygen Provider Course participants receive the DAN Oxygen Provider Student Kit containing the DAN Oxygen Provider Student Workbook with background information about oxygen, oxygen equipment and oxygen administration techniques as learned during the DAN Oxygen Provider course.
- Introduction / Overview
- Course Objectives
- Mechanisms of Injury
- Recognition of Dive Accidents
- Review of Dive Emergency
- Overview of Dive Accident Statistics
- Benefits of Oxygen
- Introduction to Oxygen Equipment
- Skills Practice and Mastery
- Final Examination
- Review with Discussion
- CPR Training from a nationally recognized agency recommended.
- DAN membership recommended, but not required.
- Junior diver certified participants are advised to be accompanied by their adult buddy.
- Recognize signs and symptoms of a dive emergency requiring oxygen first aid.
- State the benefits of providing oxygen to an injured diver.
- State potential hazards of working with oxygen.
- Assemble and deploy the DAN Oxygen Unit with skill and confidence.
- Operation of the DAN Oxygen Unit including use of these oxygen delivery devices
- Demand inhalator valve and mask
- Constant-flow, non-rebreather mask
- Pocket Mask with supplemental oxygen inlet
Download Course Information Sheet Here