The PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor program is your final step in the quest to become a PADI Instructor. During the IDC, you'll learn to use and adapt the PADI System of diver education to individual student needs. Comprehensive training, supported by a wide variety of PADI educational materials, earns PADI Instructors respect from both students and peers. PADI Open Water Scuba Instructors may conduct a broad range of PADI programs from Discover Scuba to Divemaster.
The PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor rating sets you apart from the crowd. PADI Instructors may conduct the entire range of PADI programs - from Discover Scuba through Divemaster.
PADI Instructors do things others can only daydream about.
If you want to live an extraordinary life, you're in the right place.
What do I need to start?
- PADI Assistant Instructor certification or be an instructor in good standing with another training organization for at least six months ( check with a PADI Course Director or PADI Office for qualifying credentials.)
- Hold a dive certification for at least six months
- Have 60 logged dives that include night, deep and navigation dives
- Proof of CPR training within the last 24 months
- Medical clearance signed by a physician
What will I do?
- Knowledge development through self-study, quizzes, lectures and presentations
- Confined water skill review and assessment, workshops and presentations
- Open water workshops, rescue assessment and candidate presentations
- Have at least 100 logged dives prior to entering a PADI Instructor Exam
How long will it take?
- Times can vary from four days to three weeks or more
What materials are needed?*
- Required Materials
- PADI Instructor Manual
- Instructor Candidate Workbook
- Peak Performance Buoyancy Specialty Instructor Outline
- Diving Knowledge Workbook
- Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving
- Project AWARE Specialty Instructor Outline
- AWARE – Coral Reef Conservation Specialty Instructor Outline
- RDP – all three versions (Wheel, table and eRDP including associated Instructions for Use booklets)
- PADI Open Water Diver Manual
- Open Water Diver Quizzes & Exams booklet
- PADI Adventures in Diving Manual
- PADI Rescue Diver Manual
- Rescue Diver Final Exams booklet
- PADI Divemaster Manual
- Divemaster Final Exams booklet
- Aquatic Cue Cards – for Open Water Diver, Adventures in Diving, Rescue Diver, Divemaster and Discover Scuba Diving
- Confined Water Lesson Preparation Slate
- Open Water Training Dive Lesson Planning Slate
- Recommended Materials
- All PADI professional videos
- All PADI diver videos
PADI Specialty Diver Manuals
- The Law and the Diving Professional
- The Best of the Undersea Journal
The Business of Diving
- Children and Scuba Diving: A Resource Guide for Instructors and Parents
- Open Water Diver Course Lesson Guides (standard and prescriptive)
- Rescue Diver Course Lesson Guides (standard and prescriptive)
- Divemaster Course Lesson Guides
- Discover Scuba Diving Flip Chart
- Scuba Tune-Up guidebook
- Skill Evaluation Slate
- PADI Career Advancement Series materials
- Adventure Log – Pro Modules
- A.W.A.R.E. – Our World, Our Water Manual
- Ten Ways a Diver Can Help to Protect the Aquatic Realm brochure
- Discover the Underwater World video and The Snorkeler’s Field Guide
- PADI Adventure Log Book with Teaching / Supervising module
*These are the same materials used in the PADI Assistant Instructor course.
Download Course Information Sheet Here